Your hosting account contains server directories and files since the first moment. We will try to explain the most important ones.
Most important directories are:
- The etc directory is used to store mail, FTP and PHP settings.
- The mail directory contains the email messages of your email accounts.
- The php directory contains PHP executables, PEAR libraries, etc.
- The public_html directory contains your main domain content.
- The sites directory contains the files of any subdomain or addons domain you may host .
- The tmp directory contains some temporary files, Awstats stats, etc.
- The www directory is not a real directory, it's a symbolic link pointing to public_html.
Most important files are:
- The .bash_profile file defines the shell environment
- The .bashrc file also defines the shell environment
- The .gemrc file contains Rubygems settings
Most of these folders and files are necessary for the proper functioning of the service. Don't delete or modify then.